Mission & Values
The Immune Tolerance Network (ITN) is an organization born from the collective vision of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease (of the National Institutes of Health) and the tolerance research community. As such, our vision and the principles upon which we were founded are a reflection of the community itself.
Our Statement of Values and Commitments clearly defines these principles and provides a framework that guides us in our activities. This commitment ensures that we will continue as strong advocates for the community in an open and accessible manner.
To advance the clinical application of immune tolerance by performing high quality clinical trials of emerging therapeutics integrated with mechanism-based research.
In particular, we aim to:
- Establish new tolerance therapeutics
- Develop a better understanding of the mechanisms of immune function and disease pathogenesis
- Identify new biomarkers of tolerance and disease
To understand and achieve immune tolerance to prevent and cure human disease.
Innovation: We anticipate and respond to each challenge, research or otherwise, with creativity and passion, welcoming the challenge of attempting what has never been accomplished before.
Integrity: We strive for fairness, truth and respect in all that we do and uphold high ethical standards in all human research.
Conviction: We are firm in our belief that immune tolerance therapies can and will radically improve human health.
Collaboration: We are built upon teamwork, establishing partnerships with academia, government and industry to meet our goals. We are committed to the scientific ideals of openness and the sharing of scientific information.
We make the following commitments in order to fulfill our purpose and translate our values into our every day work.
- We will lead by example and use our collective resources and expertise to rapidly advance the field of tolerance research.
- We will share the results of our scientific endeavors with the research community in a timely, open manner.
- We will uphold the highest ethical standards in all that we do.
- We will ensure that the Immune Tolerance Network provides an outstanding work environment.
- We will be accountable for living up to our commitments.
|ITN Statement of Values & Commitments |
> Download [pdf - 488kb]